Friday, January 30, 2009

Does Windows 7 know how to complete a reboot?

I've found yet another intriguing "feature" in Windows 7, and that's its unwillingness to properly reboot. Or, maybe I should say, it's unwillingness to "complete" a reboot.

On many occasions, I reboot the system for whatever reason--software installation, for instance, and the "shutting down..." screen will just sit there. Apparently it's happy to sit there until Armageddon, but I don't want to wait that long. Looking at the disk activity light shows negligible disk activity.

Most of you probably know that if you shut down Windows in an unfriendly way, whether it's a hard power down or coredump (blue screen), the next time it starts you'll get the "Windows didn't shut down correctly the last time..." screen.

The interesting thing about this problem is that it seems that Windows is completing a graceful shutdown; it's just not completing the reboot portion of that shutdown. If I power the machine down, rather than waiting for that aforementioned Armageddon, and then power it back on, I do NOT get the "Windows didn't shut down correctly the last time..." That leads me to believe that Windows did shut down...it just didn't reboot.

That one's baffling. Not really that big of a deal; just kind of annoying, that's all.

~M

No comments: